Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

have you heard of this expression? 'being Churc

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 2 Feb 2005 01:30

I remember listening to my mother in laws mother... she said that no woman ever went out of the door after giving birth untill she had 'been churched'.... This was in London the east end by the way 18/1900s..... Do you think this meant....getting the new child christened? Gerri.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 2 Feb 2005 01:39

Oh yes Valerie ....I remember her saying now that if she was walking down the road....no one talked to her....because she haddnt been 'Churched' yet! Imagin if that happened now....no one would talk to anyone lol (as if they do anyway) lol Gerri x

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 2 Feb 2005 01:56

Hi Gerri There was a thread on about this a while back on General. If you type in churched into the text search it'll bring it up. Christine

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 2 Feb 2005 02:26

Christine Just spent the last hour/two ..reading that thread...thanks Gerri x

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 Feb 2005 18:13

If you have access to a Book of Common Prayer (1662), there is a service in it called "The Churching of Women", as I recall. Christine