Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prison Records c1912

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 1 Feb 2005 20:48

I am almost certain that my great grandmother spent some time in prison around 1912 for stabbing her boyfriend (she didn't kill him) As she lived in the East End of London can I assume she went to Holloway Prison? Does anyone know if I can check criminal records anywhere? I am hoping there is a 'mughshot' of her somewhere - I am desperate to find a photo of her. Thanks

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 1 Feb 2005 23:31

I am also looking for a record of my Grandad who went to prison for stealing bread I think thats so sad I was wondering if there were any records of him if anybody knows where to look thanks

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Feb 2005 23:36

I'm not sure about 20th century, but I found a relative of mine who had killed someone in 1862, was acquitted on the grounds of insanity and spent the rest of his life in Broadmoor. He was in Gloucester gaol and the gaol register index is online on Glos. Records office website. They sent me a photocopy for a small sum. It gave the date he entered the jail, a full description (pre-photographs), a note on his behaviour whilst there, the result of the trial and when he was transferred. Broadmoor, by contrast could only tell me when he arrived there and details of his death 46 years later. The National Archives have some info on prison registers here: www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/RdLeaflet.asp? sLeafletID=253 nell

Peter

Peter Report 1 Feb 2005 23:44

I have a few sites that might help. try these 2 www.oldbaileyonline.*org www.lightage.*demon.*co.*uk my other sites are to do with murder or trasportation.

Susan

Susan Report 5 Feb 2005 10:04

Thanks everyone

Susan

Susan Report 6 Feb 2005 10:28

Nudge

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 6 Feb 2005 10:34

Hi, I found some records at Kew. They were in the Assi series. There was a physical description of some of my Palmers and their admission to prison, as well as the trial notes. Have a look at the on line catalogue. Gwynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Feb 2005 11:36

Assi is the abbreviation for Assizes - the circuit courts. nell