Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

would ww1 soldiers have had leave ?????????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 1 Feb 2005 12:09

I was wondering its probably a stupid question, but on researching my nans family it seemed strange she had no children between 1911 and 1916 then again between 1916 amd 1919 (she had one a year other than those dates) my grandad is down on one birth cert dated 1916 as being in the army so wondered whether they would have had home leave at all, or had they had an almighty row thanks also would they have always been away or could they have been stationed at home

Julie

Julie Report 1 Feb 2005 12:33

Hi my gt gt grandfather had leave during ww1, he was in the medical corps. not sure if it depends on rank etc.

Val wish I'd never started Report 1 Feb 2005 12:37

thanks Julie I was hoping there werent any more children to trace but looks like I may have

Julie

Julie Report 1 Feb 2005 12:40

You might find his army records at kew or try national archives medal list on the net. good luck with your search. Julie

Val wish I'd never started Report 1 Feb 2005 12:43

I do have his number would that be any help

Julie

Julie Report 1 Feb 2005 12:50

post his details and will have a look for you

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Feb 2005 14:18

Yes they would have leave, but sometimes it was deferred - I know this from the letters my grandfather wrote to my grandmother during WW1. But there may have been other reasons for the gap in births, she may have had several miscarriages or stillbirths, which weren't recorded then. nell

Keith

Keith Report 1 Feb 2005 16:31

Hi Valerie Yes soldiers did get leave, my Grandfather was a driver in the Royal Horse Artillery, he recieved the Mons Star so I know he was in France 1914, but married in Camberwell in 1916. He was in the Army at the end of the war, so must have been on leave when he married. Keith

Val wish I'd never started Report 1 Feb 2005 23:48

found his medal card on the onlinedocuments site thanks is there a site for ww2 docs online thanks

Peter

Peter Report 2 Feb 2005 00:05

Leave was aloud in the war but there were 2 kinds you could say there was local leve. This was time off behind the lines and Home leve. For ordinary ranks this was normaly just a few days, I beleve officers got a bit longer? I have seen web sites that have ration books isued for leve that sugested the person had 4 weeks but others that give dates of just 14 days, this would of include travel time. to find the web pages do a search putting in leave in ww1

Val wish I'd never started Report 2 Feb 2005 00:08

thanks Peter thats interesting ,I know my father and his brothers were always trying to run away from the army kept being put in the glass house I believe they called it I wonder if there are records for that somewhere maybe one day!!!!!!