Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help please to download tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Feb 2005 08:56

Please can someone tell me how to put my tree onto a disc as a back-up. Have searched the tips board but still not sure,and have looked at import/export tree.

Anne

Anne Report 1 Feb 2005 09:28

Import/export doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Has anyone else found this? Anne

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 1 Feb 2005 10:16

Anne It's never worked for me, even when it's working! lol When I have tried to upload the Gedcom to another site it is corrupt. Jeanette x

Heather

Heather Report 1 Feb 2005 11:21

Im not sure if you can download a tree from GR, as you would need a program to import it into on your pc. You perhaps should think about buying one of the family tree programs then you could import it into your pc and then back it up on rewritable cd.

Anne

Anne Report 1 Feb 2005 12:18

Yes, Heather's right if you want to look at it once you'd downloaded, but if you just wanted it as a file on a disc then just pick the A drive to store it on. Assuming import/export is working! Anne

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Feb 2005 12:31

Tried to export gedcom but it came up page cannot be displayed.

Judy

Judy Report 1 Feb 2005 15:06

Margaret: Do you want to back up your information on a CD disk or a floppy disk? If you're burning the information to a CD you first need to have a CD burner. If you do and you have Windows XP, your PC has the needed software to create the disk. I can send step by step instructions if you need them. To correct the "Page Can't be Displayed" try this: Fixing “Website Can’t Be Found” and other Site Error Messages More than likely you have trouble with accessing quite a few sites.....particularly getting the message "website can't be found" among a few other error messages. Try the following and it should solve your problem. 1. Go to START. 2. Click on CONTROL PANEL. 3. Click on INTERNET OPTIONS. 4. Change NUMBER OF DAYS TO KEEP IN HISTORY to “0” and click APPLY 5. A box appears with tabs labeled across the top. Click on ADVANCED. 6. Scroll down to the sub-heading SECURITY. 7. Make sure the following has check marks next to it: Use USE SSL 2.0, USE SSL 3.0 and USE TLS 1.0. 8. Also make sure you check off EMPTY TEMPORARY INTERNET FILE WHEN BROWSER IS CLOSED. More than likely USE TLS 1.0 is not checked of and it should be. This will give you the error messages, as well as a few others, that will prevent you from viewing web sites and the error you are getting. Make sure you empty your cookies cache as well as temporary internet files once in a while, too, as this slows down your computer and these folders tend to "remember" the errors and may continue to bring them up until the folders are emptied. Judy :)

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Feb 2005 17:01

Dear Judy Thanks for info. I always take notice of all your help you give to everyone on this site and thank you again for helping me. I have windows XP and I store all my photo to CDs O.K. Please send me further instructions to send my family tree from Genes to a CD Margaret