Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Robina?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 1 Feb 2005 00:45

Does anyone know the male version of this name? It is my nans name. She was born 1909 Scotland, but doesn't seem to followw any naming pattern!

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Feb 2005 01:05

Robin?

Chuck Cardno

Chuck Cardno Report 1 Feb 2005 01:15

I found this on a baby name site. Not sure if it will help you? Roberta female Old English bright, famous Ruperta, Robin, Robyn, Robbin, Robinette, Robina, Bobbi, Bobbie, Bobby, Bert, Berta, Bertie, Berthe. In Scotland the male equivalent is Robert, Rab, Raibeart.

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 1 Feb 2005 01:37

It could have been any male name beginning with Rob... Scots tended to add Ina to a male name to make it female. E.g. Murdoch became Murdina. My Dad and Grandfather were Donald and apparently my Dad wated to call me Donaldina....thankfully my Mum won on that one LOL Younger brother got Donald instead! Christine

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 1 Feb 2005 08:53

How about Robert. I have Robina named after her g/father Robert

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 1 Feb 2005 09:38

thanks everyone! maybe my nan's dad isn't who we thought after all!!! Am I right in thinking that in 1909 Scotland, when naming a child, they would continue with the naming pattern, rather than calling a child something completely different? It's just that nowhere can I find a Robina, other than my nan!! There is however a Rob(ert?).......!

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Feb 2005 09:39

Lindsay I have naming patterns with mine in Derbyshire and Lancashire but then equally I have a child in the same families where the name has suddenly come out of the blue. It doesn't necessarily mean there's a question over the paternity. Maybe they just liked the name or it was personal to them for another reason Lou

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 1 Feb 2005 10:00

true! There is no fathers name on my nan's birth certificate, it is all pure guesswork, and what has been passed down through the years! Very hard family tree to work out, from both my nan's and grandads side, as they were both base born!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Feb 2005 10:10

Lindsay Have you managed to find baptism records for either of them? My base born grandfather has no daddy on his birth cert but daddy is named on the baptism record! Lou

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 1 Feb 2005 11:08

Hi Lou. No I haven't, where would I be able to find that out? She was born in 1909, Glasgow. Any ideas??

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Feb 2005 13:06

Hi Lindsay I'm really not familiar with Scotland at all when it comes to records and stuff but the best thing to do would be to put a thread on the board asking for advice with Scotland Parish Records. Give her name, date of birth, all the info you have off the certificate and I'm sure that someone up there will have suggestions as to where you can look. There's no guarantee her father's details WILL be on the record but you'll kick yourself if you don't try to find out! Lou

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 1 Feb 2005 13:23

once again Lou, thank you!

Steph

Steph Report 1 Feb 2005 13:34

Have found a couple of Robina's in my step-dad's fmaily. Definately a girls name, and they where from County Durham.

P

P Report 2 Feb 2005 09:41

I have a Robina in my family from Glasgow around 1873, she either had a twin named Sabina or was mistranscribed in a census as Sabina. regards Pamela

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 2 Feb 2005 10:05

Lindsay Why not try a message on this site's forum, they are extremely helpful http://www.talkingscot.com/

Lindsay

Lindsay Report 2 Feb 2005 10:37

thank you all!