Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rabinowitz

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 31 Jan 2005 20:11

Anyone know Rabinowitz or (Fineburge) ? Rabinowitz or (Fineburge) was the Jewish maiden name of my grandmother Eva Rabinowitz 1906 - C1988 her Grandfather was Israel Rabinowitz and father Joseph Rabinowitz who married Lena Lyonson (he was formally a widower) they settled in Liverpool. Eva married Albert Houghton on 31st March 1926 at the Liverpool register office. I was told the family was originally from Russia. Eva divorced and possible remarried with the new name Rippon, moving to Plumstead London, I think. She had a sisters called Lilly, Renee and a brother called Max, possibly others? Any information to fill in the pieces would be great and how to possibly find out more regarding Joseph's dates and the family line.

Heather

Heather Report 31 Jan 2005 21:04

First you need to get your grans marriage cert, you have the date so it should not be a big job to look it up on 1837online. With that reference you can order the cert and see details of both fathers, the addresses they were living at and fathers and couples occupations. Her siblings, you could also look up on 1837online. Its not a common name and at least you have a time frame, so shouldnt cost a fortune.

Heather

Heather Report 31 Jan 2005 21:06

PS Regards her dad, you could try the synagogues in Liverpool to see if they kept records. However, the fact she married in a register office probably to a non-Jewish man may mean they were non orthodox or non-practicing. National Archives has a section for Jewish immigrants I believe.