Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help with 1861 census lancashire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 31 Jan 2005 17:04

help with 1861 census lancashire Hi! I have the booklets with the transcibed names for the 1861 census in lancashire. Can any one help with the members of the household as i believe the booklets only enter one name per house hold. The names are Lavinia Alsop age 40 Barton upon Irwell Joseph Farrow age 44 Rochdale, Spotland-nearer-side I know about them in the 1871 census. Thanks a lot Barbara

Martin

Martin Report 31 Jan 2005 22:01

Have you got the address or piece number and folio number? I have the 1861 Lancashire Census on CD-ROM but can only find someone if you either have the address or a piece number and folio number. MB

Barbara

Barbara Report 1 Feb 2005 12:35

I have sent you the names email in case you didnt get this message. Thanks Barbara

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Feb 2005 13:08

Barbara Names aren't enough, I'm afraid, as you can't search the 1861 census by name and there's no-one on the partial name index that matches your family. Without an address to check, it is like looking for a needle in a haystack, unfortunately, unless someone is prepared to look through 1000's of pages of census returns to find them Lou

Barbara

Barbara Report 1 Feb 2005 15:17

I thought Martin said that if I had the folio no. and the piece no. (which i have) he would be able to do it . I must have misunderstood. Sorry! Barbara

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Feb 2005 15:20

Barbara If you have the folio and the piece number I can do it...I didn't realise you had, sorry. Your original message doesn't mention anything about having a piece and folio Add them to the thread and I'll have a look for you! Lou

Barbara

Barbara Report 1 Feb 2005 16:19

Thanks a lot, I`m new to this and keep making mistakes! I have 2 names Lavinia Alsop Piece no. 2865 Folio no. 55a (Barton upon Irwell) Joseph Farrow P no. 3039 F no. 35a (Rochdale Spotland nearer side) Thanks a lot Barbara

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Feb 2005 16:43

Barbara Here you go: Lily Bank, Stretford (no house numbers) Percival John 35 HEAD Cheese & Bacon Salesman Cheshire Middlewich Percival Elizabeth 30 WIFE Cheshire Lymm Alsop Lavinia 40 VISITOR Dressmaker Manchester Lancashire Cart Sarah 15 SERV Lancashire Manchester Forgot to note this address so let me know if you need it Greenhalgh William 29 HEAD Woollen Stubber (?) Lancashire Spotland Greenhalgh Hannah WIFE 32 Lancashire Spotland Greenhalgh John SON 7 """""" Greenhalgh George SON 5 """"" Greenhalgh Edward SON 1 """""" Farrow Joseph 44 LODGER Woollen Stubber Lancashire Spotland You might want to e mail Martin to tell him that you now have the info! Lou

Barbara

Barbara Report 1 Feb 2005 18:33

Thats fantastic!! thank you so much! Joseph Farrow was a weslyan chapel keeper and seemed to spend a lot of time as a lodger apart from the 1881 census! Although he was marred with, as far as I know ,4 children. Barbara

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Feb 2005 18:40

Hi Barbara Sorry, I should have said...yes it did have Joseph Farrow down as being Married but lodging with the other family Lou

Barbara

Barbara Report 1 Feb 2005 19:31

he was my gt gt grandfather (born in Paris, which has been a great help because I aways know if its the right one!) on my maternal side. I havnt got very far on my paternal side as he was from Ireland and with a name like Edward Kelly its hard to find anything!! Barbara