Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PARENTAL CONSENT FOR MARRIAGE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 31 Jan 2005 13:49

The only marriage I can find in the Worcestershire Index of Marriages for any Robert & Mary Bourne in a 10yr span is that on 6 March 1814 Clent. This would be find and close to Amblecote and Old Swinford where they said they were born in 1851 Census. Problem is Cert. says one or both were marrying with parental consent and they were both 21+ (have death certs.). Was consent needed for any other reason eg. Robert was marrying a relation - Mary's maiden name was Bourne! Or if Robert not baptised? Hope someone out there might have some thoughts please.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 31 Jan 2005 13:56

Hi, Parental consent was only usually required if the bride or groom was under 21. Ages on death certs are not always accurate maybe the person registering the death didn't know for sure. Gwynne

Susan

Susan Report 31 Jan 2005 14:05

Gwynne - yes, that is another possibility that from the time of the marriage onwards they both made out they'd been 21 because all the Censuses and death certs point to DOB of 1791/2.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 31 Jan 2005 14:35

Have you been through the other entries in the register? Some vicars had the registers printed with the words "married consent of parents" and never bothered to cross through anything, even when the couple were widowere and widow. B

Susan

Susan Report 31 Jan 2005 14:54

That's a very interesting thought Brenda. But I could kick myself cos we had a weekend in Worcs and Staffs just to look up family history places inc. the Worcs Record Office and instead of making a photocopy of the parish register entry, I just transcribed it. So I can't remember whether the parental consent bit was printed or written in. One learns by mistakes. I shall have to write to the Record Office, unless a kindly GR member happens to be passing.

Judith

Judith Report 31 Jan 2005 15:00

Does your transcript have the name of a parent giving consent? Where I've found the register printed with the words with consent of ....... the vicar filled in a parent's name if consent was needed but left the gap blank if not.

Susan

Susan Report 31 Jan 2005 15:20

No, there are no parents' names at all. Just the marks of Robert and Mary plus the two witnesses. So I think Brenda and yourself might be right. It makes me feel more confident anyway about the start of my family tree. I'm can't go any further back as there is no baptism record for Robert and anyway with such a common name as Bourne, it is all too easy to go down the wrong path - or branch! - when you haven't got censuses etc to confirm things.