Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

club-steward

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 30 Jan 2005 20:38

Can anyone tell me what a club-steward did for his occupation? This is on my ggrandfather's marriage certificate. A further clue... he was in Hulme Manchester at the time (1884). Goggle suggests it is a boating occupation but this seems unlikely in Hulme. Any offers much appreciated, thanks.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2005 21:45

hi elaine,sounds like he worked in a working mans club,or the like,ie doorman, regards tony

Peter

Peter Report 30 Jan 2005 21:55

A stewerd is a bar man at posh clubs. The same as in the officers mess in the army (I was one for a time)

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2005 22:11

your right paul ,they call the doormen in my club door stewerds,forgot the bar stewerd,the main man, tony

Elaine

Elaine Report 30 Jan 2005 22:18

Thanks everyone. I'll pursue this idea.