Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Regiments for London WW1 ????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lozie

Lozie Report 30 Jan 2005 17:08

Does anyone know which regiments the men would have enlisted in if they lived in the Lambeth, Bermondsey area of London during the WW1. My grandfather was born 1896 which would have made him 18 at the start of the war Any ideas please? Loz

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2005 17:28

hi lozie,if your gradfather served in ww1,look up medal cards in national archives, you will find out his regiment, or post his name on this board and i will look it up for you,regards tony

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 30 Jan 2005 17:42

I don't think you can be all that certain that your regiment is necessarily linked to your birthplace. My Southampton-born grandfather & great uncle were in the Yorkshire & Kings Royal Rifle Regiments respectively. They joined up in London. Christine

Natalie

Natalie Report 30 Jan 2005 17:49

You could also try the London Gazette archive......if he got promotion or a medal. Natalie

Lozie

Lozie Report 31 Jan 2005 16:42

Tony My gandfather was Arthur Herbert Kitchener b 3/11/1896 Brixton Lambeth. I would be grateful if you are able to discover in which regiment he served Thanks Loz

Natalie

Natalie Report 31 Jan 2005 16:59

Hello, this is slightly off the topic, but I was wondering how you would go about finding out about conscientious objectors. I know one of my relatives objected and never enlisted to go to war during WW2. Any help would be great, even if it's just to say that it can't be done!! Natalie P.

Linda

Linda Report 31 Jan 2005 22:22

Hi My Grt grandfather was in the Royal Engineers based in Woolwich, he lived in Lambeth London Linda

Ian

Ian Report 1 Feb 2005 11:08

Lozie, There looks to be too many Arthur Kitcheners on the NA website to see which was your relative. Do you have his service medals? They will have his name, rank and army number and regiment stamped on the rim. Ian

Bob

Bob Report 1 Feb 2005 12:31

If they weren't trying to join a particular regiment, I think people tended to enlist near where they lived. My Grandfather lived in London and (I believe) joined the 1/23rd (County of London) Battalion Go to "The long, long trail", http://www.1914-1918.net/ specifically: http://www.1914-1918.net/london.htm for a list of London regiments.

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Feb 2005 12:38

To Tony Rodaway My grandfather was in the army but I put his name in search but nothing came up. He was Fredrick Henry Townsend 1872-1924 living in Acton or Ealing then Middlesex Hope you can help Nan used to have a lovely photo of him in a big frame with all the regiments flags and union jack embriodered round him

Heather

Heather Report 1 Feb 2005 12:40

He would have probably been too old for WW1 service - though I understand they started taking some 50 year olds when the young men were running out.

Lozie

Lozie Report 1 Feb 2005 17:08

Thanks Everyone Thanks Bob will have a look at the long long trail Lozie :~)