Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

AVG ANTI VIRUS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 30 Jan 2005 13:32

I am having problems with the automatic or manual updates with the free edition of 7. I have mailed AVG who (surprise, surprise) suggest I upgrade to the paid for pro edition. Is this worthwhile please?

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 30 Jan 2005 13:40

Heather, I'd say hang on in there .... they are having some problems getting the update system sorted out, but I reckon it's because so many people have switched over from 6 to 7 all at the same time. It does update, you just have to be patient sometimes :) Personally I don't think there's another free anti virus that can hold a torch to AVG. Sioux

Elaine

Elaine Report 30 Jan 2005 14:21

Hi I've been having the same problem and yesterday my son in law who's an IT expert came over to have a look and he said exactly the same thing..........so it's a matter of hang in there and be patient as apparently we couldn't be better protected. Elaine

Geoff

Geoff Report 30 Jan 2005 14:27

It's a case of try try try again. It usually seems to happen in the end.

Heather

Heather Report 30 Jan 2005 15:37

Thanks guys I shall hang on then. Just a bit worried that I am open to any virus in the meantime. I had the bagle virus last year (even though I had paid-for Mcafee prog). It was SO embarrassing. It gets into your emails and sends copies to anybody on your mailing list.

Linda

Linda Report 30 Jan 2005 18:34

Call me stupid but what is the problem everyone is having? mine seems to update automatically at 6:30 (it is doing it now) then says it has done and goes off, is that right? The main problem I have is that being on XP whichever User has logged on first gets the email virus check but when you switch to another user account it says email scanner not fully functional (unless you log of user 1 completly). Lynn

Heather

Heather Report 30 Jan 2005 19:17

Hi, mine used to do that, but now it starts up, stops and says problem with connection. Even if you try manually to up date you get same message. After a lot of fiddling it does download the update but its a bit worrying that it isnt doing it automatically.

Heather

Heather Report 30 Jan 2005 20:06

Thanks Andy, will have to think about that if this continues. I dont like the uncertainty!!

Joy

Joy Report 31 Jan 2005 10:43

I posted a question about this on the general board: "Had been having trouble updating AVG so panicked - should I actually buy another one instead of using this free one we'd used for years, thought I, don't want a virus! Okay, they have Norton in a shop nearby, may buy that but had heard people having problems with Norton too!! Then I looked in the AVG forum site and found lots of people had had the same problem, and some suggested AVAST anti virus, so off I went and removed AVG and downloaded the other one. At least it was reassuring that it wasn't me but others had had the same problem! Now looking again at the AVG forum people are saying they have been able to update after all, and the server at AVG seems to have been fixed!! Help, please! Would you remove AVAST and go back to AVG if you were me?" and had a reply: "Just read "which" reports for February 2005 and they rate Avast 4.1 Home Edition (free) above Avg which came in second ! I am about to look at the this program , have been using Avg 7 and have problems updating." According to a computer mailing list, and the AVG forum, apparently it is updating ok at present. I shall stick with the AVAST and wait for a friend to come back to me who is trying out AVG again. Joy