Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Names on your homepage not appearing ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 30 Jan 2005 12:06

When I update my trees with new names, additions and amendments to names they don't always appear on my New Names page, some do, some don't. I presume that if I can't see them, they no-one else can. Anybody else have this problem ? Many thanks John

John

John Report 30 Jan 2005 12:38

Margaret, If I enter the "lost" names into the GR name search, it shows them. I presume the name search facility looks at the whole GR database or is that detail retained on my system. Could you kindly do a name search as a check for me, entering George Blackshaw d.o.b. 1842 and it should come back with his place of birth as Maltby. Many thanks John

Miriam

Miriam Report 30 Jan 2005 12:40

I did the name check for you he is there details are correct miriam abbott

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 30 Jan 2005 12:41

And did you know there are two George Blackshaws born same year listed? Christine

John

John Report 30 Jan 2005 12:42

Many thanks for your kind help folks, something for GR to work on regards John

John

John Report 30 Jan 2005 12:45

Christine Yes I saw that too, and the same for his daughter !! I have consequently followed that up as found a new relation !! Addictive isn't it. Sunday dinner will not happen today - kids will starve -cats will leave home - I will be branded a poor father - all because of GR !! Have a good one John

Sprack

Sprack Report 30 Jan 2005 12:52

if you update a name that you already have in your tree it wont appear as a new name, for instance if you have a surname entered as unknown and then find out at a later date. jenny

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 30 Jan 2005 12:56

LOL John, I know what you mean, my "poor neglected family" tell me I'm addicted too! Christine

Anne

Anne Report 30 Jan 2005 13:27

Does that explain why, when I added my husband's mother and her parents and grandparents she did NOT appear on the new names list but the others all did? I suppose my husbands mother was already in the tree as 'mother' and in effect I updated her? I was a bit annoyed and mystified at the time that she did not appear in the list. Anne

Sprack

Sprack Report 30 Jan 2005 13:41

I dont know anne, it should have appeared if it was a new entry unless it makes a diference if the word mother is not deleted first. jenny