Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A lion Shilling?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 29 Jan 2005 18:27

A newspaper article from 1887 refers to the robbery of "a lion shilling" Any ideas on what this was and how much it was worth?

Daniel

Daniel Report 29 Jan 2005 19:27

Thanks Barbara!

Paul

Paul Report 30 Jan 2005 01:23

There were two designs for the shilling, but they only came about in George VI's reign I believe. One was for Scotland, the other for England. Apparently, shillings in Victoria's reign initially had what were supposed to be leopards on them, later changed in design. Who remembers farthings, ha'pennies, threepenny bits, tanners, florins, half crowns? And the pains we went through at school learning how many to the pound!!! Paul

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2005 08:40

The English Shilling had a Lion on the reverse, the Scottish one a Thistle. Then there were Ship Halfpennies. The Farthing had a Jenny Wren.

Geoff

Geoff Report 30 Jan 2005 10:18

I can't find any reference to a lion on the reverse of a shilling between George IV (1820s) and Edward VII - of course having a 60 year old coin in your pocket was not unusual. http://www.tclayton.demon.*co.uk/onesh.html (remove *)

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jan 2005 10:30

I remeber the ship halfpennys we had to collect them during the war to help the sailors fund

Daniel

Daniel Report 30 Jan 2005 10:53

Thanks everyone for the help. Geoff I think you may be right in saying that it was an older coin as in another part of the article, the victim complains that the paper shouldn't have printed the the theft of the lion shilling as that was the only thing that would have gave the robbers away.