Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CENSUS QUESTION?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine

Catherine Report 29 Jan 2005 17:28

If the Head of the household was not at home on the night of the census but staying at someone elses, he will be down as visitor on their household - yes? So what happens in his household, is their no head as he is not at home, or does someone else become head for the census? Does that make sense?? Cate:s

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jan 2005 17:30

Cate I don't know what rules the enumerators followed, but I can give you two examples from my own family 1851 my gt gt grandmother listed herself as head of household and in the occupation column described herself as "wife of railway labourer". I have yet to find out where my gt gt grandfather was in 1851 on census night. 1881 my great-great Aunt listed herself as head of household in Wimpole Street - she was a kitchen maid and the only other occupant was another servant girl! Can only assume that the householder and rest of the household were elsewhere at the time. nell

Heather

Heather Report 29 Jan 2005 17:31

My GGF was a sailor, away for 3 of the 4 census I can find him on. His wife always recorded as Head.

Catherine

Catherine Report 29 Jan 2005 17:45

I have found my GGG Grandfather as a visitor in 1881 but not sure where he lived normally, however I have found what I think is his son who lives in a household where there is no head. It is not on the previous page of the census as the household is the 1st one for that district??

Zoe

Zoe Report 29 Jan 2005 17:55

I always though that the person down as the "head" was simply the person that filled in/told the enumerator what to write on the census form Zoe