Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1837online & familyrelatives site

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nichola

Nichola Report 29 Jan 2005 14:47

I know that 1837 is complete but I wondered how up-to-date familyrelatives is. I have been searching for the siblings of Henry Jobson and Sue Poole. Apparently they had 11 children. I have found their marriage register and six children born thereafter, including a set of twins which matches with the info I have been give. However I have searched on familyrelatives on a large period of time and cannot find any others. Do you think I would find them on 1837 online or do you think they possibly didnt have any more children. Nicky

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 29 Jan 2005 14:48

it would depend on when they were born. Some of the records aren't there....

Nichola

Nichola Report 29 Jan 2005 15:21

Hi Tracy, I have searched from 1944 and found six children upto 1952. I have searched from 1952 to 1970 on familyrelatvies and cannot find anymore. Nicky

Seasons

Seasons Report 29 Jan 2005 17:47

Just a question from those who have used both which is the easier and gives better results 1837 or family relatives? I have tried the fiche files at the library, freeBDM, Ancestry and cannot find the marriage or death c1900's. I don't know whether its me or problems with Burnley area around 1900 - I think I saw someone else having difficulty finding an entry for Burnley around the same time. Could it be that some entries haven't made it to the GRO index?

Heather

Heather Report 29 Jan 2005 17:57

familyrellies isnt all complete yet, missing from 1837-1866. They are also having a lot of teething probs. However, I think once they have it sorted, they will be much easier to use than 1837.

Nichola

Nichola Report 30 Jan 2005 13:01

Hi, I think I personally prefer 1837online. I presume that the period 1952 to 1970 on familyrelatvies is complete then. Nicky

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 30 Jan 2005 13:12

The years 1921 to 1983 I believe are complete. but not fully transcribed this means that you can only search by surname, and it brings up the name of the first and last person on the gro index page. So if you are searching 1921 to 1983, Neither 1837 or Family relatives are better, they are both about the same. However, if you are searching the years 1866 to 1920, family relatives is definately the better site, as you can search by full name and get EXACT matches, as are the year 1984 - 2002. If you get no match by the name entered, then try name variations or leave out any middle names. As the years are complete, it just might be that it is mistranscribed. The years 1837 to 1865 are have not yet been added on family relatives, so for these years, you have no option but to use 1837. Hope this helps. Siobhan

Michaela

Michaela Report 30 Jan 2005 14:14

Could you tell me what the familyrelatives site is and how it works? I find 1837 not a lot of use but maybe I'm using it incorrectly Thanks Michaela

Patricia

Patricia Report 30 Jan 2005 16:08

Family relatives has been up and running a while! We have all been using it. www.familyrelatives.org Its a pay to view.

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jan 2005 16:12

Michaela When you say that you dont find 1837online a lot of use, what do you mean? It gives you the reference numbers to enable you to buy the certificates. You cant view certs without buying them. Margaret