Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth in Hereford Gaol - Help Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 28 Jan 2005 21:54

After searching for ages to find my grandfather's birth I think I have found him on the 1881 census which shows his place of birth as Hereford Gaol - this makes an exciting change from all the other coal miners and ag. labourers! I have just been searching for a birth in Hereford, but no success so far. Name Frederick Blake He is shown as 18 on the 1881 census which would make his year of birth 1863. But he is shown as 26 on his marriage certificate in April 1890, which would make his year of birth 1865. I have searched for a few year's either side, but can't find any birth registered in Hereford in those years. Can anyone help please. Cheryl

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jan 2005 22:13

Cheryl It actually says Hereford Goal on the index but agree it does say Gaol on the image. How exciting...an interesting rellie! Where have you looked so far for a birth? Lou

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 28 Jan 2005 22:49

Hi Lou, So far I've looked on Ancestry, FreeBMD, and Family Search, but no trace of a birth in Herefordshire in the years around 1863 - 1865. I've also checked on 1837.online and found births for 3 Frederick Blakes in Depwade, Tolmes and Stroud - never heard of the first two places, so I'm off to the old maps site to see if I can find where they are. Do you know if the birth would have been registered in Hereford, or in the home town of the mother? Thanks for your help (again), Cheryl

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jan 2005 22:51

Birth should be registered where he was born - ie Hereford. I can only presume his mother was in gaol at the time. You could see if the records office has Hereford gaol register and see if she is there. nell

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 28 Jan 2005 23:17

Thanks Nell, I'll try that. I have been looking at a site for Hereford Gaols, and reading of a few executions that took place, but no females amongst them. Cheryl

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jan 2005 00:09

Another possibility is that he was related to the governor of the prison or maybe a warder? nell