Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trouble with Northampton grandfather

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paula

Paula Report 28 Jan 2005 21:05

I'm having trouble tracing where my g g grandfather Thomas WOOD came from, on all the cenuses his place of birth is recorded as Northampton. He married in Oct 1871 when he was living in Leicester. I hoped to find him with his family on the 1871 census for Leicester but he is living with his uncle and family (surname Brooks). From his marriage certificate i know his fathers names was James Wood but thats all i know about them. On the 1871 to 1901 cenuses Thomas's birth place is recorded is Northampton and year of birth would be 1851 based on info from censuses and marriage certificate. Incidently the Brooks family have a child age 13 born Northampton and an 8 year old born Leicester so presumably they moved to Leicester in between those years Hope someone can help Paula

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 28 Jan 2005 21:22

Hi Have you seen the entry on Free BMD for: Thomas Wright Wood, June 1852 Northampton 3b 77? (Couldn't find anything on the IGI with father listed as James, although there is a John, father of Thomas Wood b. 18th January 1852, Watford, Northampton) Hope this isn't going over old ground. Regards Helen

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 29 Jan 2005 08:20

Well if his uncle had the surname Brooks, it it likely that that is his mother's maiden name, guess that something positive out of it!

Paula

Paula Report 29 Jan 2005 16:57

I'm not sure if he would be from Watford as on the the censuses when he was in Leicester he just put Northampton as place of birth. I'll probably have to wait until the 1861 census comes onto ancestry later in the year and try and find the family on that. Most of my other lines are in Leicester so i have plenty to be going on with Paula