Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sheffield: Small Cutlery business 1920s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DorothyG

DorothyG Report 28 Jan 2005 20:31

Does anyone have any idea or know anyone who may know of a small Cutlery business in Sheffield during the 1920s. My father (now deceased) said that my grandfather (George Gillett) was in this business then.

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Jan 2005 20:35

Dorothy I dont know if you are aware, but Sheffield was famous for cutlery and steel. Perhaps contact the main library in Sheffield and ask them to do a look up in a trade directory for the years you want. Margaret

DorothyG

DorothyG Report 28 Jan 2005 20:43

HI Margaret. Oh yes, I certainly knew that Sheffield is famous for cutlery and steel. But my father said little of his family other than a comment in a letter to a friend (which I have just re-read today) that his father's business was struggling, as were others at the time, and he had been obliged to look elsewhere for work because there was insufficent income to feed the family. Do you think it is likely that Sheffield Library will help - I find Libraries very unhelpful unless you can actually personally visit - and I live a very long way from Sheffield!

Geoff

Geoff Report 28 Jan 2005 20:56

The 1911 Sheff & Rotherham directory has John Gillett, fork grinder working for Soho Grinding Wheel Co George Gillett, working as a baker, living in Lydgate Lane Arthur Gillett, a tripe dealer John Gillett Richard Gillett, telephone inspector You can look at www.historicaldirectories.org

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 28 Jan 2005 21:07

Dorothy I used to work in Sheffield Library, and I think you will find if you contact the Local Studies Library and/or Business Library they will be more than helpful; if not, things will have changed a great deal! Helen

DorothyG

DorothyG Report 29 Jan 2005 18:50

Thank you all so much!! I'm very grateful for your assistance. Geoff I'll certainly look up that site. Helen, sorry if I sounded sceptical, but I have found Libraries I've looked at for other facts, to be like that. I'll now do my homework, and hope it will somehow break down my ''brick wall''. Thanks again.

DorothyG

DorothyG Report 7 Feb 2005 14:34

I have no looked at the site you recommended Geoff, and am interested in finding out where to go from here? Anybody got any ideas? Helen do you think the library would be able to throw any light on this?

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 7 Feb 2005 15:33

Dorothy I really would give it a go with the library - you've nothing to lose, after all! I wonder whether your grandfather would have been classed as a 'Little Mester' - I'm sure there's information in the library on them, or if not, they could point you in the right direction. Sorry I haven't got the up-to-date phone numbers ( I haven't lived in Sheffield for about twenty years!) but perhaps you could google Sheffield City Council to find their website and relevant numbers. Good luck Helen

DorothyG

DorothyG Report 8 Feb 2005 17:11

Hi Helen Thank you for your reply..... what is a ''Little Mester''? please? I'm no longer hesitant about contacting the Library, but just don't really know how to go about asking for more info.