Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

website warning!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 28 Jan 2005 20:02

There is a website www.gov-certificates(.)co(.)uk. which is a spoof website for birth certificate ordering in the u.k. Don't use it. There is no phone number on the contact details and the price of certificates is way above the GRO site. Directory Enquiries have many calls a week for their phone number and they only have a PO box address with no phone number. Steer well clear. Kim

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 28 Jan 2005 20:04

I havent been or seen that site. Thanks for the warning Kim. Regards Yvonne

Simon in

Simon in Report 28 Jan 2005 20:04

Well spotted Kim i was going to order a cert the other day and they wanted 23 pounds you can never be to carefull. Simon

Ann

Ann Report 28 Jan 2005 20:08

WOW.thanks for the warning. I found that to order online from GRO a cert costs only £7 as opposed to £11.50! Big difference.

Julie

Julie Report 29 Jan 2005 14:47

Is that the same site as www(.)gov(.)uk

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jan 2005 14:50

This is the official GRO site for ordering certs: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ a cert should cost £7 if you have the correct reference, or £11.50 if you ask them to check for you within 3 years. nell

Julie

Julie Report 29 Jan 2005 14:54

Thanks for that

Natalie

Natalie Report 29 Jan 2005 15:04

I did a google search when I couldn't remember where to order certificates and, annoyingly, this site comes up first, so it makes it look as if it is the GRO site. If I hadn't already ordered from GRO for £7, I may have been fooled. Thanks for your warning. Natalie

Heather

Heather Report 29 Jan 2005 15:37

Isnt this the site someone paid £25 for on one of the threads and 3 months later hadnt got a reply?

Sue

Sue Report 13 Feb 2005 19:51

I nearly fell for this one when the GRO site was playing up. I noticed the increased rate and cancelled the order. I got to it through a general search. Yes, beware! Sue H

Jane

Jane Report 14 Feb 2005 08:04

Kim Thanks for pointing this out - definitely worth 'nudging' back to the top of the list. Regs Jane

Martin

Martin Report 14 Feb 2005 08:39

A WHOIS search on that URL gives an address for Certificate-Services with an address in Bournmouth. If someone has had problems with the company then it is probably worth reporting to Trading Standards then they can keep a check on the company. MB