Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

pulling my hair out--can anyone help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 28 Jan 2005 12:42

i have been trying to find the marriage of William Wallis to Sarah Young. William,i am sure,came from Portsmouth but in 1872 was living in Bristol. I don't know where Sarah came from but im assuming Bristol. i've looked on ancestry,family search and free bmd,perhaps its need a fresh pair of eyes

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 28 Jan 2005 12:58

Nothing on the IGI either :(

David

David Report 28 Jan 2005 13:16

Spelling variation Wallace? Have you been able to find him on the 1871 census? Are they on the 1881 census - if so where and what was the age and birthplace of their eldest child which will give an indication of likely marriage date? Good luck david (creaking all over)

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jan 2005 13:25

Karen Have you any idea roughly when they would have got married? How do you know he was in Bristol in 1872? Was Sarah with him as his wife then? Lou

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 28 Jan 2005 13:30

Hi, Your best bet would be the pay to view site familyrelatives which claims to have transcribed all records 1860 -1920. It's worked for me. Gwynne

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 28 Jan 2005 14:27

tried Wallace but nothing there. in 1881 thers no sign of them but their son,Ambrose,is living with his ant and uncle in Portsmouth.Ambrose was born in 1872,so from his birth cert i know they were in Bristol. i haven't been able to find them on 1871 either. What is the adress for family relatives,haven't used this before Karen(still creaky and getting very cranky too)

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 28 Jan 2005 14:52

Have you found Thomas Sansbury's marriage? Is Elizabeth's maiden name Wallis or Young? Might Sarah have been a widow? What was William's occupation? Just a few questions to suggest different avenues to explore.

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 28 Jan 2005 14:58

Brenda, haven't found their marriage but i've got one of their sons birth certs and she was a Wallis.i've looked for their marriage on ancestry etc but not on 1837 yet(only found out Elizabeth was a Wallis yesterday). Hadn't thought that Sarah might have been a widow,i thought that maybe they didn't get married but like you say it opens another window. William was a costermonger