Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just Making Sure!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 28 Jan 2005 12:30

I have found a possible marriage for one of my rellies on FreeBMD in 1879. There are only 5 names given - 3 women and 2 men. Am I right in thinking that this page hasn't been fully transcibed yet? Jeanette x

Heather

Heather Report 28 Jan 2005 12:31

Yes, afraid so. I guess your bloke is missing, eh, - sods law. You could always ask for a look up on one of the familyrellies or 1837 to see if your guy comes up with same ref.

Crista

Crista Report 28 Jan 2005 12:37

Jeanette, After 1852 there should only be 2 marriages so it sounds like one of the women has been mistranscribed. What name is it? Crista

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 28 Jan 2005 12:42

Aaaah well, Heather, the thing is I think they are both there. The only record I have of my 3x great Aunt, Mary Greenley, is her christening in 1842. But there is this marriage in the correct district and one of the gentlemen named is a Fred Ridsdale. On this site somebody has a Fred Ridsdale Greenley in their tree. Think it's time to drop this member a line and see what they know. With my luck they're probably not a member any more and have changed their email addy! lol Jeanette x

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 28 Jan 2005 12:43

oh no Crista! lol The names are Mary Greenley and Fred Ridsdale in Bridlington. There is also a Mary Ann Tock on the page. jeanete x

Crista

Crista Report 28 Jan 2005 13:14

Jeanette, Don't know if this helps you but it looks like Fred is married to a 40 year old Mary from Stainton Dale in 1891. Can't find them in 1881. Ridsdale, Fred 35 Walkington, Yorkshire Head Escrick Yorkshire Ridsdale, Mary 40 Stainton Dale, Yorkshire Wife Escrick Yorkshire Crista

Crista

Crista Report 28 Jan 2005 13:17

Here they are in 1881: Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Fred BILSDALE Head M Male 25 Walkington, York, England Police Constable Mary BILSDALE Wife M Female 30 Harwood Dale, York, England Source Information: Dwelling Cross Hill Census Place Hunmanby, York, England Crista

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 28 Jan 2005 13:18

Thanks ever so much for that Crista. It doesn't look like the right one then. The search goes on! lol Jeanette x

Heather

Heather Report 28 Jan 2005 13:18

Crista, I think you must have dark powers, how do you do it. You couldnt have a look in your crystal ball (is that how you got the name!)for my James William Hanson marrying Mary Ann Wyles circa 1857 in London could you. Many thanks.

Crista

Crista Report 28 Jan 2005 13:23

Jeanette, Is this your Mary in 1871? Mary Greenley 20 Gowland, Yorkshire, England Servant Bridlington Yorkshire Crista

Crista

Crista Report 28 Jan 2005 13:27

Heather lol. Doesn't look good I'm afraid as there's very little coverage for that period on FreeBMD. Crista

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 28 Jan 2005 13:49

Unfortunately not Crista. My Mary was born in North Burton - or Burton Fleming as it is known now. I have her on the 1851 census with her family aged 9 then she disappears. I can't find it now because I want it (!) but I did find a transcription on the net of some deaths in this village. One of the entries was for twins of Mary Greenley born and died this night - think it was sometime in the 1860's. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean it was my Mary. Unfortunately it was quite a common name in these parts at the time. Jeanette x