Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What are Folios Numbers on the Census indexs? HELP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amelia

Amelia Report 27 Jan 2005 16:38

Could anyone tell me what the folio numbers are and how I can find them with a specific enrty. I am looking at the 1851 Lambeth census. It is still driving me mad I have been looking for one house number for 2 days. I thought I might have the wrong CD But in the index it says it is the correct one but what is a Foilo page number thingy?

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 27 Jan 2005 17:00

Hi Amelia Hope I can make this make sense! lol Usually the reference will start with an RG number which refers to the year ie RG11 is 1881 That is followed by a piece number which refers to a district ie 4800 That is followed by a folio number which is usually found in the top right hand corner of a census page in BOLD. The folio number encorporates 2 pages of the census. The folio number is only printed on the first of those 2 pages. ie 54 That is followed by a page number. Page numbers are consecutive for each enumeration district and found on the top right hand corner of the first page for the folio and in the top left hand corner for the second page. ie 15 followed by 16 Jeanette x

Barbara

Barbara Report 28 Jan 2005 12:11

cant help you but I am interested to know if the census cd`s are worth buying/ I have a booklet of 1861 lancashire names, would the cd give me more info? Thanks BL

Heather

Heather Report 28 Jan 2005 12:13

Blimey Jeanette, that was impressive!

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 28 Jan 2005 12:16

Lol Heather! I do a bit of transcribing for FreeCen and I can find my way around a census but it ain't 'arf hard to put into words Jeanette x

Joan Palmer

Joan Palmer Report 28 Jan 2005 12:17

Hi Amelia I have the 1851 discs for London. If you need a bit of help - shout and we can look together. Joan x

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 28 Jan 2005 12:17

I didn't know that !!

Joy

Joy Report 28 Jan 2005 12:19

Very well explained, Jeanette! Better than I could have. All I could have said was when I go to the FRC in London and want a printout, so go to the coungter and ask the staff to do it for me, I have to write on a piece of paper the folio number and something else!! Joy