Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Address search on 1891 census Ancestry - How?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gigi

Gigi Report 27 Jan 2005 11:12

Hello All, Does anyone know how to search by address on the 1891 census on Ancestry? Thanks, Gillian

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 27 Jan 2005 11:15

You can't. You can search by forname, surname, age, place of birth, town, county.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 27 Jan 2005 11:16

Haven't worked that out yet myself so would be interested to know. I assume your looking at a big area and want to narrow it down. Jeanette x

Gigi

Gigi Report 27 Jan 2005 11:18

Thanks for your replies. I suppose I'll just have to go through Crediton page by page! Gillian

Crista

Crista Report 27 Jan 2005 11:24

Gillian, What is the address and name? Crista

Gigi

Gigi Report 27 Jan 2005 12:55

Hi Crista, The address is 6 Market Street Crediton, Devon. The Rammell family lived there in 1871 & 1881 but in 1891 they have disapeared! Gillian

Gigi

Gigi Report 27 Jan 2005 13:33

Good idea Jim. Will have a go! Gillian

Twinklestar

Twinklestar Report 27 Jan 2005 13:56

hi there this info was given to me when i first started it does take time but is worth it tracy You can do an address search on Ancestry for any census year, if you if you have the area you want, it takes time so you have to have patience. If you click on UK Census collection click on the year(you can only do this for one census year at a time as districts changed over the years), go down the page to the Counties click the County you want then you get districts if you know the district you click on that and enumeration areas come up you go to description of enumeration area and you can go through the streets that way. I do this often to find others of a family who are living just streets away from each other. I do wish you could have street searches but I think its too difficult for Ancestry to do this as their site holds the 1871,1891 (Complete) and 1901, as well as US. there is just too many.

Gigi

Gigi Report 27 Jan 2005 14:55

Hello, Have tried the neighbours in 1881 but they all seem to have moved by 1891!!!! I'll have to search through Crediton page by page I think!! Thank you all for your ideas. Gillian