Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hello hello, looking for assistance!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne Patricia

Yvonne Patricia Report 27 Jan 2005 06:13

Please please tell me you can help me....... I am looking for people with a fair knowledge of Irish Surnames, Let me explain my problem! My Great Grandmother was born in Wicklow, either Avoca or Glendalough(if that isn't spelt right I apologise now!) and was in "service" around the area, when she ran away to stay with her sister Rose in Dublin. After this she came to live in Pendlebury Manchester, where she met my Great grandfather. All I know about my great grandmother is her first name was Alice( short for Alicia ) and her surname was Aden, now here is the problem.......try as I might I cannot seem to find any listing for Family ADEN in the county of Wicklow, so I am wondering if, there is anyone either in the area or has done some studying of Irish Surnames, could tell me what it MIGHT be, I know with a lot of irish immigrants coming to England their names were mispelt due to accent, I have tried the following names and would be grateful for ANY guesses at the moment! ADEN AGAN EGAN HAGAN HAYDEN EAGAN HADYN HAYTON HEADON HEADEN HEYDEN HEYDON HADEN I have even tried some of the "old" irish surnames Oh-Aiden Oh-Eidean. Please if you have read this far, just give me your guesses, I look forward to hearing from you all......Thanks in Advance Yvonne! P.S. Crista, working backwards she was born 1882 - 83. She died in 1958 aged 76?

Crista

Crista Report 27 Jan 2005 06:33

Yvonne, What year was she born? What name does it say on her marriage cert or her children's certs? Crista