Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army Marriages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 26 Jan 2005 22:26

Do all Army marriages appear in the GRO index. If I have an ickling that some ancestor married while one was in some kind of military service. How would I go about tracing the marriage. Thanks, Siobhan

Heather

Heather Report 26 Jan 2005 22:29

Surely they would be treated like any marriage and recorded.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 26 Jan 2005 22:37

I was hoping the answer would be no, that it would not necessarily be registered in the gro index. Hopefully someone can clear this up on what the process of marriages in the army would be in 1920?

Heather

Heather Report 26 Jan 2005 22:44

Do you think they may have been abroad?

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 26 Jan 2005 22:48

No, One of my great grandparents children was born in Scotland in 1921 and birth cert gives date and place of marriage as 19 May 1920 in Burnley. It is not in the gro index and burnley records office don't have it. Have tried all kinds of name variations. But I know my great grandmother used to perform to the troops during the war (She was a contralto singer/actress) and 1920 is at the end of the first world war. Possibly clutching at straws on this one, but I have to look down every avenue. It is possible they made up the date and place of marriage, but I can't see where they would just conjour up Burnley from. They have no links to Burnley that I am aware of.

Janet

Janet Report 27 Jan 2005 09:00

Siobhan If the marriage took place whilst in the services and abroad the marriage would probably not be in the ordinary 1837 registers but would most probably be in the the Regimental Indexes which used to be exclusively in the FRC, but are now online with the 1837 online indexes so these would be worth checking out first before you look at other avenues. Oher registers worth looking at are the Overseas and Consular Records but I do not think that these are online, so you would have to either go to the FRC in London or give them a ring to see if they can do a search for you. Google Family Record Centre in London for the address and details of how to get in touch. Janet

Heather

Heather Report 27 Jan 2005 09:28

Janet, thats really interesting, because I have been trying to find the marriage of hubbys GGF and though a few look promising, havent sent off yet - hoping to find some indication of the brides name. So, they may be in a different index then.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 27 Jan 2005 17:04

I definately don't think they married abroad as they gave Burnley, so I suppose this would of been covered by the GRO index in the normal way, even if it was at some military residence. This is disheartening. Every time i get a lead on my great grandfather it ends up in disappointment. Will I ever locate him.

Janet

Janet Report 27 Jan 2005 17:16

Siobhan If your ancestor definitely married in Burnley then he should be on the GRO and if not then you may have to look at the question did they ever marry? The other possibility is that there is a mistake in the numbers and that is the reason you cannot find them. This did not often happen but there are mistakes on the GRO and yours may be one of them. Do you know the names of both partners? If so you can try to cross check the reference nos in Free BMD, a little easier than cross checking nos with the heavy books in the FRC or the fiche where you can go cross eyed! Heather Yes, always worth checking the Overseas/Consular Marriages Indexes but these indexes can only really be checked in the FRC in London, although if you have approx date you may find that Southport Office may do a search for you. Not everybody reported their overseas marriage to the consul so finding that elusive marriage can still be hit and miss. Another point worth checking if all else fails, is that back in late 1800's and early 1900's many young women went as governess to people in France/Belgium, and Dieppe became a very popular destination for marriages for people from the UK, in the same way that foreign climes for marriages are popular today. This idea of getting married in other countries is not new! I have found a marriage in Dieppe in 1888. Is there a possibility that "hubby's" ancestor was in the Army/Navy? Again if possible try these army indexes and these are online at 1837. Not sure whether the Navy Indexes are online. These are also in the FRC and again Southport may be able to help with a search. Janet

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 27 Jan 2005 17:56

I know both of their names and the marriage was in 1920, so would not be on freebmd. I have search every variation you can possibly imagine and they are definately not in the gro index. Living family members, state that they were definately married, as they are convinced she commited bigammy when she married her second husband. Trouble is I cannot find this marriage either. They definately did not want to be found, put it that way.

Janet

Janet Report 27 Jan 2005 20:13

Siobhan No, you are correct, Free BMD does not go to 1920. You have a problem. Some marriages do not want to be found. Have you found children's births?. Might give you a clue. Janet

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 4 Feb 2005 17:13

Yep, I have all the childrens births, but no sign of any of her marriages. It is rather frustrating, as I am completely stuck on my great grandfather because of it.

Joan Allan

Joan Allan Report 4 Feb 2005 18:12

Have you considered the fact that the female could have been married before therefore she could have married using her previous married name and you may only know her maiden name from the children's certificates.