Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce - 1870/80's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sane Jayne

Sane Jayne Report 26 Jan 2005 21:20

Could people divorce in 1870/80's. If so did they usually or did they just commit bigamy or live in sin? If they could was it very expensive and difficult? Thanks in advance. Jayne

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jan 2005 21:23

Jayne Divorce was not only very expensive it was also socially very reprehensible, especially for divorced women. Read more here about tracing divorce records: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/divorce/step2.htm nell

Sane Jayne

Sane Jayne Report 26 Jan 2005 21:27

Helen, See my next message on brick wall as I think you have helped me with messages I have posted on this part of my family in the past. Thanks for the info. Jayne

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jan 2005 21:32

Jayne Have just read and added to it. nell