Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Scottish Ancestor

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 26 Jan 2005 19:58

My mother was born in 1924 illegitimate. Her father was Scottish and the only information I have about him is his name and where he lived at the time of my mother's birth. I have looked at a couple of Scottish search engines but they need the place where the person was born but I do have this. Does anyone have any tips or information on how to look for a Scottish ancestor with very little info. Many thanks

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jan 2005 20:40

Hi I am fairly new to this my self but have you tried putting the name and place into the census search. That way it will have all the people living in that house and there ages. At least you will then have a year that the person was born. That may give you a starting point. What name are you looking for and what part of Scotland. Good luck Pat

Susan

Susan Report 26 Jan 2005 21:09

Thanks for reply Pat. The only info I have is an English address and not a Scottish one. Sorry I forgot to say this.

Val

Val Report 26 Jan 2005 21:19

If you go on Scotlands people it is £6 for 30 credits all you do is put his name in and it will give you a list of people with the name and the area they came from

Susan

Susan Report 27 Jan 2005 18:40

Thanks for your reply Valerie. I will try this. Thanks. Sue