Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO service...what's it like-hurrah!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 26 Jan 2005 17:34

I ordered three certs on 3 Jan - estimated despatch 19 Jan and I still haven't got them - what sort of delivery times are others finding? See later message Peter

Gordon

Gordon Report 26 Jan 2005 17:39

Don't expect to see them much before Feb 3... the despatch date is only a rough guess when they will get around to it.

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 26 Jan 2005 17:42

Peter, I ordered 2 last week, and it did state that they were averaging about 2 weeks at best - due to increased demand created by the 'Who do you think you are' series on BBC2. Anne

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 26 Jan 2005 17:53

Peter I ordered one at the beginning of this month (can't remember exact date). I was quoted despatch date of Monday 24th January, and received it yesterday. Hope yours arrive soon. Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jan 2005 18:12

Peter it depends on how much of a demand there is. When I first started using GRO it took 4 days, the last cert I ordered arrived when I was beginning to wonder if I had actually sent the order! nell

Smiley

Smiley Report 26 Jan 2005 19:03

I thought I would be clever and stay local, a Falmouth birth so I telephoned and sent my cheque, I waited a month!! They apologised when I enquired by email, apparently many records have now been sent to Truro, so it can be a gamble either way Sam

Gordon

Gordon Report 26 Jan 2005 20:23

I guess it's different if you live overseas... if you email and complain that you haven't got it, they get motivated and send the thing out promptly. As I'm in Canada I don't get to see BBC, I'm just wondering if this TV show is just a momentary blitz of applications from people just wanting their own certs or really a major influx from dyed in the wool family historians. Does anybody know how many people work at the GRO? In one email they sent to me, they say they get 35 000 hits per week!

Heather

Heather Report 26 Jan 2005 20:27

Mine in December took over 3 weeks. Ive just ordered on on the 21st January and told despatch date 3 Feb. but we will see.........

Karen

Karen Report 26 Jan 2005 21:30

I ordered 2 on 10 January, dispatch date quoted was today (26 Jan) havent received them yet. Karen

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 26 Jan 2005 21:37

I ordered 4 on 4th Jan, estimated date of dispatch 21 Jan. They arrived on the 22nd and 23rd. This is better than the ones I ordered in mid-December: I think they're getting it back under control.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 26 Jan 2005 21:54

I ordered two on 9th Jan, one marriage, one death. The marriage cert came today - but the other one has not come, hopefully tomorrow. They quoted a posting date of 25th so that was spot on. Ordered two more yesterday and was given a date of 7th Feb.

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 27 Jan 2005 03:23

My two marriage ones arrived today!!!!!! Only a birth to come. Now, how come he married Ann when I have his wife as Catherine?? Need to spend money and trawl thru 1837 - oh well, back to the grindstone!!!! Peter

Aian

Aian Report 27 Jan 2005 08:23

My deliveries have speeded up a little bit, but my last certificate came in without a stamp yesterday, had to pay for postage, 21p and a handling fee of £1.00! Michael

Emma

Emma Report 27 Jan 2005 08:57

Ordered 5 certs a fortnight before Christmas...just received the first two yesterday!

Trudy

Trudy Report 27 Jan 2005 09:24

Hi, I ordered two earlier in the month, one with a dispatch date of the 25th and it arrived yesterday (26th), so not bad, the other est. despatch 28th, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Trudy