Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GREAT BUDWORTH, Cheshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dea

Dea Report 26 Jan 2005 11:54

I have just found out that one of my ancestors around 1940'ish was working at 'The Big House' at Great Budworth and lived in a tied cottage on the estate. The only 'big house' I can find on the net would seem to be Arley Hall. If anyone knows the local area - does this sound about right or would there have been another large estate which I should consider? Thanks, Dea.

Juliana

Juliana Report 26 Jan 2005 12:04

could that be bugsworth???

Dea

Dea Report 26 Jan 2005 12:07

No, I found it on the map - above Northwich and a bit to the left of Knutsford. Dea

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jan 2005 12:10

Hi Dea I used to live 2 miles from Great Budworth so you are correct with the spelling and its location! It's now a very elite village where a lot of wealthy people live (footballers and the chap who created the Transform Breast clinics for example). The only thing in addition to Arley Hall that springs to mind would be Tatton Park, which is a couple of miles from Budworth, on the outskirts of Knutsford and Dunham Massey, which is a similar area but more towards Altrincham. There's also an enormous building sat in several acres of land that is now called Cransley Independent School which is actually in Great Budworth. Not sure what that was in its former life! I'll have a think and if I can come up with anything else I'll get back to you! Lou x

Dea

Dea Report 26 Jan 2005 12:25

Thanks Lou, If Tatton Park is a couple of miles away, probably they wouldn't have said 'the big house at Great Budworth'? - I will look into it but I think I am still leaning towards Arley Hall. There may have been a Cock Hotel nearby if this means anything? + I looked up the school you mentioned and apparently that was Belmont Hall - the school moved there in 1977 so I will see if I can find out anything about it before. Thanks, Dea

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jan 2005 12:26

Hi Dea The Cock Hotel still stands, it was renamed the Cock'O'Budworth a few years ago after it was renovated. You're probably right about Tatton Park, I think its been called that for many years, but Cransley's history might be worth checking out! Lou

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jan 2005 12:27

Me again! How could I forget...THE MANOR HOUSE! Big sprawling house with lots of what are now outbuildings but could feasibly have been small cottages 100+ years ago. At the very top of the village near the church. Not sure how long that has been there but its certainly 'A Big House'! Lou

Dea

Dea Report 26 Jan 2005 13:09

Thanks again Lou, Just been searching for the Manor House - Havn't found anything yet but will keep trying. Dea.

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jan 2005 18:00

Hi Dea Bizarrely my ex boss lives in the Manor House in Budworth...or she did up to when we stopped working together in 2001. I can't for the life of me remember her surname, just her christian name at the moment, cos I'm sure she'd have no objections to giving you a 'history of the house' to see whether it sounds like the one you are looking for. Will rack my brains! Lou