Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

the law on marriage (c.1840's)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steph

Steph Report 26 Jan 2005 09:54

My 3 x great grandfather, Thomas Eyre, married (c.1845) a woman who had previously been married (then widowed), to a man with the same surname, Eyre. I have been looking into the possiblilty that these two men were brothers, but someone has said to me that marrying your dead brother's widow was illegal at that time. Does anyone know if that was the case?

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 26 Jan 2005 09:59

I've got a woman marrying her dead Sister's husband in 1827. Don't know about the legal side of things, but it did happen.

Susanne

Susanne Report 26 Jan 2005 10:05

Hi Steph, It was not legal at that time (doesn't mean it didn't happen though!) I will nudge up a thread I put on giving info on the laws for various years. Sue:-)

Steph

Steph Report 26 Jan 2005 10:10

Thankyou Susanne, what an interesting list!! I imagine that people just lied to the vicar, then!

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 26 Jan 2005 10:11

So mine were illegal too? I didn't know that lol

Steph

Steph Report 26 Jan 2005 10:12

Nothing like a few skeletons in the closet to spice up a tree, Tracy, eh?!!!

Susanne

Susanne Report 26 Jan 2005 10:29

Steph, I can remember reading, not that long ago, that some widowed men went on to re-marry women with the same name as their deceased wives, If I remember correctly, there was one man who married 3 or 4 women all with the same name. I guess that the same is possible for women as well. If this woman had any children by her previous marriage, they would still retain the same surname on the next marriage. This may have had a better social standing. I have an ancestor in my tree with the same name as his father, who went on to marry a woman with exactly the same name as his mother. I don't know if it is just me, but that seems a bit ummm odd!! Sue:-)