Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IGI BIRTH DATES....???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 25 Jan 2005 18:13

I have found 7 children of one family via the IGI on Family Search. Each one has a full date listed next to 'Christening'. Can I assume that these ARE their actual birth dates?? as they all seem to match the dates I have calculated from their ages on census records. Anne

Patricia

Patricia Report 25 Jan 2005 18:14

Thats usually a baptism date.

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jan 2005 18:14

The date next to the Christening is generally the date the child was baptised. In my own tree I have occasionally found a date of birth next to a baptism entry, but this is generally when the child is older (ie not a baby). nell

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 25 Jan 2005 18:19

Well, they must have had them baptised within days/months of being born then lol. All are listed on the 1861 and when I calculate an approx year from the age given - it matches the year of christening. I even have one child who died the day after 3rd child was baptised! Thanks for your replies :O) Anne

Paula

Paula Report 25 Jan 2005 19:03

I think alot had there babies baptised quite young. I remember my mum telling me that in Ireland when she was young alot would go to the church for the christening on the way home from hospital (if they had the baby in hospital) as they didn't have transport to get out again much. Also i've been looking at parish records for Leicester and quite alot particularly later ones also have the date of birth recorded even for babies

Geoff

Geoff Report 25 Jan 2005 19:14

I find baptisms are usually within 3-4 weeks of birth. However, last week I found someone who was baptised aged 21, a few weeks before she married as often you had to be baptised to be married. Her sister aged 26 was baptised the same day! Then there was the clergyman's daughter who had just passed her seventh birthday when she was christened. Another family had five done together, aged from 3 to 15.

Margaret

Margaret Report 25 Jan 2005 20:17

I was only 3 weeks old when I was baptised, my hubby was 2 weeks old Margaret

Irene

Irene Report 25 Jan 2005 20:57

I think you will find that is the birth date. But you must check to be sure. On the fiche (on which copies of the church records are kept) you will find that a lot did start to put the birth dates on the side, there was no columns for this. Also many families waited to get their children christening together, I had one 1902 I think it was were he had 4 of his children christened together, they did have their birth next to them. Irene

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 25 Jan 2005 21:09

If it says christening, that's what it means. Birth entries are described as such on the IGI. How old babies were when baptised depends on the prevailing fashion in the area. In general, the earliest baptisms are when the baby is a day or two old. A rather ineffectual Norfolk rector in the 1720s gets very upset because the child is a month old and he has only just succeeded in persuading the mother to have it baptised. By the end of the 1700s the child is often a week or more old. By 1900 they may be a month or more, and my brother was about 5 months old when he was christened. But you can only find this out if it is shown in the registers or you have a birth certificate. B

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 25 Jan 2005 21:11

Thanks very much for all further comments given above :O)

Angela

Angela Report 26 Jan 2005 11:33

I think that the dates are baptism dates because they are taken from the parish registers. In some of my families there are two or children with the same date, so I suppose they went in for "bulk buying" when they got round to it. I don't think that they were multiple births.