Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are there any directories for Ireland?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 25 Jan 2005 13:59

My gt grandfather George McKinley came from Ireland. The first record I have of him is 1891 census in Bradford. He was a tailor. Now he must have been a tailor or learning the trade in Ireland. Is there any way to find him this way ??? (Yes I know I am desperate) Thanks

Karen

Karen Report 25 Jan 2005 14:12

Karen Any idea of whereabouts in Ireland he may have come from? Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 25 Jan 2005 14:13

Unfortunately no. His wife's parents were married in Seagoe, Armagh, so it's possibly from that area.

Karen

Karen Report 25 Jan 2005 14:40

Karen Searched the 1888 Bassett's directory for Armagh and there are a few McKinley's listed but not George and none of the McKinley's were tailors by trade. It may be that your George had already left for England by 1888. I can give you the extract of information if you like - it doesn't actually give much information. Mail me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 25 Jan 2005 14:42

I've had him in a few Ireland threads. The old fella must be turning in his grave. If he'd just give me some clues. I'll give him some peace.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 25 Jan 2005 14:46

Thanks Karen (nice name !!) I've emailed you.

Karen

Karen Report 25 Jan 2005 14:52

Karen Have just sent it to you. Karen

Stella

Stella Report 25 Jan 2005 19:54

Sorry, I'm butting in on this thread as I too am interested in Ireland directories. My great grandfather Thomas 'Henry' Proctor went back to Ireland after serving in India in army after 1901 and is known to have been a blacksmith in 1915. He probably went back to Co. Tipperary. Can anyone point me in the direction of a directory site or the name of an appropriate directory to look in? Thanks and sorry again! Stella Timewell

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 25 Jan 2005 20:57

You could try the CMC Record Project site. It has some info and a message board. Frances

Karen

Karen Report 25 Jan 2005 21:36

Stella I'm afraid the only directories I can locate are all pre 1901 - Pigot's (1824), Slater's (1856) and Bassett's (1889) . The tipperary research centre may have some information as it looks like they have street directories. However I believe there will be a charge for their services. Web address is : http://www(.)mayo-ireland.ie/Geneal/NTipp.htm With kind regards Karen