Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it likely?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Juliana

Juliana Report 24 Jan 2005 23:57

Would it be likely that there would be two people with the same surname, living in the same area, born in the same place but totally unrelated??? ju x

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 24 Jan 2005 23:59

Juliana In a word YES, especially in smaller places. It may be that they are related way back or something but Ive come across it a few times. Sheila

Juliana

Juliana Report 25 Jan 2005 00:04

Thanks ladies, unfortunately the surname is Wilson - so extremely difficult!!! xxx

Peter

Peter Report 25 Jan 2005 00:07

I know it happens were I live there is another Peter Walker with the same birthday as me. he also uses the same Doctor as me, and thats how I know. I keep getting appointments that are his. They now have to check address to confirm I am me and not him, (is that english?)

Anne

Anne Report 25 Jan 2005 00:08

Just as an illustration of the chances of this, I am facinated by the number of times there are two people with the SAME name in the death columns of our local paper in the SAME week. When I first noticed this I thought they were just two entries made by different family members. However when you read them they are different people. No wonder they have to be so careful about identity in hospitals! Sorry, I know its off subject but it shows how chance is a lot more common than you think. Anne

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jan 2005 00:22

Ann How true! My name (as in surname) isn't that common but there are 2 of us with the same name registered at the same dr's surgery and our ages are just 3 years apart. We've had each other notes on the desk many times in the past and we 'remind' the doc of our address before being seen! Lou

Juliana

Juliana Report 25 Jan 2005 00:22

I live in london and very familiar with 'up north' - my prob is i have a james wilson born in taxal, cheshire (1798) but i have him living in chapel en le frith in derbyshire in 1871 census. my issue is i have noticed a robert wilson born in taxal (1813) but living in chapel en le frith too!! Even their daughters are both called Ann - could this be just a coincidence???? ju x

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jan 2005 00:24

If both census entries are for the same year at different addresses then I'd say they have to be 2 different people. If one was 1871 and the other 1881 for example then maybe

Juliana

Juliana Report 25 Jan 2005 00:26

defo have 2 addresses - just wondering whether or not there was a link between james and robert or if it could be purely a coincidence! ju x

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jan 2005 00:28

They could be brothers, cousins...with a 15 year age gap one could even have been the younger ones uncle or father!

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jan 2005 00:51

Sheleen NO! Oh goodness...they say if you're going to play away never do it on your own doorstep. They should include never name the children you have with your wife and your mistress identically to the rule! Lou

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 25 Jan 2005 01:28

I'm reminded of a local man, a lorry driver, who ran two families, 20 miles apart for over 30 years. The game was up when both wives went to see him perform in a Male Voice Choir competition, he was taken ill during the performance and both wives rushed forward to help......

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jan 2005 01:35

I was just thinking earlier (not something I do very often!)...at the moment there are 5 adults and 4 children aged 3, 2, 14 months and not quite a year old living in a 3 bed house here. Must be what it was like for our ancestors...all squashed together like sardines but at least we have an inside loo!

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jan 2005 01:44

I should add that not all the children are mine! Nor do I have 4 husbands!