Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP!! what have i done wrong

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kim

kim Report 24 Jan 2005 18:39

please can some one help me, i have had plenty of new leads lately and have been updating my tree here and my off line one which i had backed up i had plenty of pictures in both,after a long think i decided to go with impoting and exporting my trees have done this a while ago and had no problems,( not done since genes has been updated and you cant link the trees no more), it took while to load up , silly me thought it was just cause i had alot of info there, after was loaded, i tried name search and the page froze,i signed out and back in as i thought it might need to be refreshed, i looked at a name again, that i knew wasnt on one programe, it still wasnt there, then i thought id have alook at my pictures make sure they are still there, and NOTHING, i have lost all pictures to,when i signed out and in again it kept coming up with page not found could this have anything to do with it? have since tried to restore my off line programme, from my back up, but it tells me the prog is in use and wont allow me to restore, PLEASE HELP ME, i had lots of new leads lately taking me back to 1600s, not sure if i can get all back, if i cant get my back ups to work, have emailed this site direct but i need to know if i can do anything to sort it, has anyone else had probs like this, or have i just completly messed it up here,

kim

kim Report 24 Jan 2005 19:16

thanks irene for the nudge,and yep i thought of rebooting as could not find server kept coming up, but no nothing , i dont understand how my back up can be in use when its not even open here, unless its in loop as you say rodney is it possible to be stuck at genes end do you think they could release it if so,will i loose what isnt here at moment? hope im making sence, as panicking here abit, thanks for answers here you two, not heard from genes yet but keep flicking back hope they get in touch tonight

Heather

Heather Report 24 Jan 2005 19:54

Hi, do you mean, you exported your family tree prog to GR and this happened? Eek, that happened to me two days ago. I dont know how but there was an old ged com file on my documents which came up instead of the latest one. If you go into documents, can you see if there are other gedcoms you have created? Try clicking on them one at a time to see if you have just mislaid it like I did. Know how you feel, my stomach hit the ground when it happened to me.

kim

kim Report 24 Jan 2005 20:00

hi heather, keep wiping the swet from my brow here, yes thought of that one too, i have got 5 on here from previous and have took turns in trying to reload all incase i misread the file name and still keeps saying its in use and nothing new reloads it wont let me , if this happened to you to, is it a prob here? or are we both as dangerous as each other lol,

Heather

Heather Report 24 Jan 2005 20:03

Keep thinking it must be there, because it very probably is. So, you have closed down and restarted?

Walter

Walter Report 24 Jan 2005 20:05

You say you had your work backed up. Which Family History Programme do you use and how did you back it up? On to CD.s, Floppies, DVD,s, another Hard Drive etc.?

kim

kim Report 24 Jan 2005 20:07

yes heather i just disconnected first thought it would come back on to my files, when that didnt work i know it sounds silly but i even turned off the electric supply to it,and nothing next was to try restore it but again nothing this prog is still in use but dont know where, any other progs it wont let me upload from.any other ideas im willing to try??? if i could pick out the files and pictures one by one believe me i would some of them were real hard work to get,:-(

Heather

Heather Report 24 Jan 2005 20:11

Dont despair. It cant have vanished from everywhere. Once you sort this, for goodness sake get it backed up on a rewritable cd. Thats the only thing that kept me from a heart attack the other night. The thought that 95% was on the cd. And also on my family home page. When I managed to get mine back on, I immediately put in the cd to add the other 5% - just in case. Im sure one of the techi bods will come on shortly - Richard or Bob or someone who will know just what to do.

kim

kim Report 24 Jan 2005 20:13

hi walter its family tree maker but old version that old i have to check which version 6. and i back up as save files in my docs,if i haf thought before i would have done it too cd, (only do that when i have sufficent or what i would call a lot,hmm have just given me a thought tho,am wondering how much is on my last disk, thanks for that one, i know not all will be there but might have some pics i havent got here now will go have look thanks walter