Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Army Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Giles

Giles Report 24 Jan 2005 07:43

Apparently, over 50% of World War 1 records were destroyed in World War 2, so how can I check if my great grandfather's records survive? Is there some kind of index available to search?

Heather

Heather Report 24 Jan 2005 07:46

You need to look at the National Archives Site. That will give you all the info you need. Good luck.

Giles

Giles Report 24 Jan 2005 08:08

The National Archives describes the different types of Army records preserved on Microfilm, but it doesn't say if an index is available to search, or how to check if a soldier's records are included in the miles of film.

Heather

Heather Report 24 Jan 2005 09:06

Do you know his regiment? You could look up their website and email them for info.

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jan 2005 17:26

hi giles,did your ggrandfather die in ww1 ?if yes there are 66 gaffneys on cwgc site, or you could try the VETRENS AGENCY FREE PHONE 0800 169 2277, they may be able to help you. regards tony

Heather

Heather Report 24 Jan 2005 17:41

Yes first call is usually to the National Archives base.

sydenham

sydenham Report 24 Jan 2005 17:47

If you give me his full name age etc and if pos his regiment I will look in Kew at Easter. It isn't that difficult as they are in strict alphabetical order and most are missing. There is also a good fast forward on the film handle! Try checking his full name on the medal rolls in docs on line in the National Archive site. That could help to determine his regiment unless there are others with the same name. jan

Giles

Giles Report 24 Jan 2005 19:16

Thanks for the feedback! My maternal grandfather wasn't discharged from the Army, but died in battle, and he wasn't even a soldier... Name: FARMER Initials: G E Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Sapper Regiment: Royal Engineers Unit Text: 275th Railway Coy. Date of Death: 28/09/1918 Service No: WR/258385 Do I still have 40% chance of finding his WW1 records? Any help would be much appreciated!

Eve

Eve Report 24 Jan 2005 21:33

If you go into Family search library catalogue and put in this number 1990029 the records of WW1 these are called the unburned war records. Box 2534 - Fardell, Percy to Farey, William Lewis; Box 2535 - Farge, Albert Edward to Farley, Ernest Victor; Box 2536 - Farley, Francis Charles to Farley, Robert; Box 2537 - Farley, Samuel to Farman, William; Box 2538 - Farmer, Albert to Farmer, Andrew FHL BRITISH Film 1788223 Box 2538 - Farmer, Andrew to Farmer, Charles R.; Box 2539 - Farmer, Daniel to Farmer, George W.; Box 2540 - Farmer, Harry to Farmer, Joseph W.; Box 2541 - Farmer, Leonard to Farmer, Thomas J.; Box 2542 - Farmer, Walter to Farmer, William VAULT BRITISH Film 1788224 Box 2542 - Farmer, William to Farmes, William; Box 2543 - Farmey, Michael to Farnell, John; Box 2544 - Farnell, Joseph R. to Farnsworth, Wm. H.; Box 3545 - (box numbers skip 1000) Farnsworth, Albert to Farnsworth, Walter FHL BRITISH Film 1788225 The name I was researching had not survived except for eight of the men (who had my surname) records. Which I copied anyway. There are not many with my family name. This is a copy of the Farmer records they have. You can order the relevant one at any of the Mormon centers. It's a chance. On some of them you get the attestation date hospital records, some of them Next of kin. All I can say is. Give it a try. All the best.

Ann

Ann Report 24 Jan 2005 21:49

eve what section of the library catalogue do you imput 1990029 cant see what heading should be under dim or what?? ann

Joy

Joy Report 24 Jan 2005 21:50

Please explore www(.)1914-1918(.net) - remove brackets. Very helpful people there with lots of information. Joy

Eve

Eve Report 24 Jan 2005 22:18

Ann The Film / fiche search. Just put in this number. Eve

Ann

Ann Report 24 Jan 2005 23:37

EVE THANK YOU

Eve

Eve Report 25 Jan 2005 10:34

Ann You are welcome I hope you find what you are looking for. Happy hunting Eve