Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help required re adding onto tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 23 Jan 2005 22:31

I have a situation where one of my direct ancestors married someone with the same surname and surprise surprise they are related, how do I go about putting them on my tree. I have them both on my tree as parents of my ancestor, and I have then put both their parents on, however it is the 2 fathers that are brothers and therefore have the same parents. At the moment if I add their parents I have to do it twice, is there any way to link these? Hope I haven't confused the issue too much. Liz

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 23 Jan 2005 22:36

Hi Liz I believe this is one of the things that GR's program won't let you do. I have 2 cousins that married and it won't let me do that either without entering all the info twice - which I can't be bothered to do! lol. I've been a member for nearly 2 years now and they've been promising to alter it nearly all of that time, so I wouldn't hold your breath! Jeanette x

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 24 Jan 2005 05:48

If you do use a program such as Family Tree Maker, and then export your tree to a GEDCOM format and upload that to GR, you will find that all the names for those common ancestors will be doubled up automatically on GR. This is a lot easier than physically entering them all twice!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 24 Jan 2005 11:07

Many thanks for your responses. Liz