Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alice

Alice Report 23 Jan 2005 20:22

can someone tell me how to find info on any census, I am new to GR and am trying to build my family tree. Thanks Alice

Esta

Esta Report 23 Jan 2005 20:35

You can search the index for 1901 england and Wales www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk It's pay per view to view the actual images though. 1881 is searchable on the lds site......www.familysearch.org familyhistoryonline site.........www.familyhistoryonline.net Esta

Heather

Heather Report 23 Jan 2005 20:35

Alice, go to the home page and it will tell you how to start researching. Basically if you want to do a lot of research then it would be prudent to subscribe to the ancestry site then you have access to 1851 - 1901 plus births, marriages and deaths and lots of other info. There is also family search but that only covers the 1881 census free. But the best thing to do is look at the home page for all the sites we use and on some of the threads on here. I have nudged up Essential Genealogy advice for you to read and perhaps print off.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 23 Jan 2005 20:40

As a relative newcomer, I assume you're after the later censuses. 1901 - for England and Wales see http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ and for scotland see scotlandspeople.gov.uk 1891 - England and Wales is only available on Ancestry(.)co(.)uk, Scotland is on scotlandspeople 1881 - England and Wales at familysearch.org. 1881 is the only free site; the others are pay-per-view.