Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage certificate details .

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 23 Jan 2005 10:46

Could somebody tell me if there is any other way I can find the parents names of a married couple.Janet Handyside/ James Perrie married 11/04/1841 Barony,Lanarkshire. I found the marriage on scotlandspeople, but there is no image. Will I have to order yet another cert, or is there an other way of finding this marriage? thanks for any advice. Marion

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 23 Jan 2005 11:09

Hi Marion You probably wouldn't get much info from the image anyway as Scotlands registrations didn't start till 1855. Your date would come under OPRs which basically just give the names of the couple being married. You could take a running guess at their ages and search for births ..but it can be very hard Sorry, Sylvia

Val

Val Report 23 Jan 2005 14:11

Just to let you know the marriages in Scotland give both parents name but before 1855 they don't give parents name they will on death certificate if after 1855 on the birth certificate will give the parents name with mother's maiden name so may be that is your way forward

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 23 Jan 2005 14:16

Thank you for that.So marriage cert wont be much good to me then? I might be better to get their births,ie Scotlandspeople. I did find them on a census they were born 1822ish. Marion

Val

Val Report 23 Jan 2005 14:23

births go back to 1554 and they are upgrading site next week