Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspaper clipping

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fiona

Fiona Report 23 Jan 2005 09:30

Trying to find the newspaper clipping of my grandfathers death. He was killed around 1919 whilst riding his motorcycle when it collided with a horse and cart in Gainsborough. His name was John Pearson Marston and he was in his early thirties. His wife at the time was Elizabeth and they had a son Ronald. Any ideas on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 23 Jan 2005 09:39

Have you tried the Lincolnshire FHS? I believe they have old newspaper articles etc - might be worth contacting them. Should be able to find them with google.

Dawn

Dawn Report 23 Jan 2005 09:42

Fiona Try and find the nearest Library to the incident. They may know the publication relevant to that time and area. Hopefully, they will be able to point you in the right direction with regards to which Library would have old newspapers. I have been down a similar route myself. I was put on to a couple of libraries, but eventually the third one gave me the information I required!! Hopefully, you will be able to do this via e-mail. Hounslow Library were so helpful and sent me the relevant photocopy!! I wish you all the luck in the World. Dawn

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 23 Jan 2005 10:36

My gt granmother was run over by a car in Leeds. I emailed the Leeds library & they found some entries in 3 newspapers & even copied & posted them to me in Oz. No cost & very helpful.

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 23 Jan 2005 11:37

Fiona - Looking on "1837OnLine" I couldn't see his death in 1919, however looking at the years either side of 1919 there was a John P Marston (age 33) death registered in Gainsborough during the 2nd quarter of 1921 . . . . is this him? You need a copy of his death certificate for an exact date of his death, otherwise you will be searching for hours. You should be able to obtain the death certificate from Lincolnshire Registration Services, Tel. 0845 3301400. Once you have an exact date you can contact Gainsborough or Lincoln library to check the newspapers for any news item that may have been printed about the accident. I have also sent you a message.