Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth and marriage certificate queries - help plea

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 22 Jan 2005 23:41

Can you help with the following:- i have just received copies of some certs. I need help with the following:- 1) Birth cert. for my grandad gives the name of his mother and the name of the informant as grandmother. Would this be the grandmother of the birth child or the grandmother of the mother ? also gives the place of birth as Byfield RSD. What does RSD mean. 2)Marriage cert. gives fathers name of spouse but my info has determined that he died 12 years before the marriage. Have they just not noted the fact that he was desceased? 3) My grandad was born out of wedlock. The difference between his birth reg. and parents subsequent marriage was 1 year and 1 day. Is this just coincidence or was there any significance to this marriage was in 1889 any help or comments appreciated

Jools

Jools Report 22 Jan 2005 23:53

Grandmother of the child just born as far as I am aware. RSD = Rural Sanitary District. No requirement to note bride/groom father deceased - if someone remembered to ask they would get the answer, if not asked, then nothing. (Not the case now though) Perhaps they had to marry before junior could be christened (pedantic clergy etc??)

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 22 Jan 2005 23:55

1) would have to be a guess, and I'd favour the "new" grandmother, proud of her status. 2) this has been mentioned on other threads. If the registrar simply asked for "father's name", he may not have elicited that the father was deceased; and if not asked directly, the bride/groom may not have thought to mention it. 3) no specific reason of which I am aware. These are just my opinions, of course: no more or less valid than yours, I imagine. Christine

John

John Report 23 Jan 2005 00:23

thanks folks info appreciated they have all disappeared by 1901 !! probably keeping their heads down john

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 23 Jan 2005 20:34

Might be worth you naming names, ages & places of birth, if you can't find them on the 1901 yourself. There are one or two folks on this site who seem able to pull rabbits out of hats - and even disappearing relatives out of censuses! Christine