Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 22 Jan 2005 15:30

I have just searched the Bath BMD indexes for the second marriage of my ggggrandfather James Holvey 1849; however, there are two James Holvey listed, one married a Sarah Hill and the other James Holvey married Sarah Smallcombe. Both marriages have the same Reference Number RO1/7/168 - what can this mean? I have found out through Family Search and the 1851 Census that he was married to a Sarah - but which one? By coincidence his son`s marriage, Thomas Holvey, is also listed below James`s marriage so maybe they had a double wedding! Is the only result to buy both certificates? Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated. Elizabeth UPDATE: SEE BELOW FOUND THE ANSWER

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 22 Jan 2005 15:36

His sons birth certificate will give mothers name. Bob

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 22 Jan 2005 15:57

Hi Bob, Thank you for your reply but to date have found no other children born in this marriage. James would have been circa 47 years old when he married the second time. He had seven children by his other wife Mary and Thomas was one of them. Elizabeth

Lynne

Lynne Report 22 Jan 2005 16:22

Do you know James fathers name? what l do in this situation is write for the certificate with certain provisos, ie, only if the father is listed as so &so or if the address is right or the age or profession. I know this will not always filter out the wrong ones but l have found the people at the record offices very helpfull and they have returned my cheque if the criteria isn't met. Mind you l think in this instance l would have to send for both just to see what the difference was with the same refernce number! Lynne

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Jan 2005 17:37

Just to add to the confusion, I tried to find this on Ancestry civil reg and I got: District County Volume Page Atherton, James 1849 June Bedminster Somerset 11 79 Holvey, James 1849 June Bath Avon Somerset 11 79 Jessop, Charles Hale 1849 June Cheltenham Gloucestershire 11 2_[79] Willmott, Elizabeth 1849 June Bedminster Somerset 11 79 nell

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 22 Jan 2005 17:57

Thank you Lynne for your advice. Thank you too Helen for your ideas. I decided to send a E-mail to Bath BMD half hour ago and they kindly responded within 20 minutes stating: "This is not an error. James Holvey married a lady that was a widow. We index that marriage to both his wives maiden name, and her former name. RO1/7/168 is one certificate, and when you get it you will see both the names Hill, and Smallcombe on it. One will be her father`s name." Well, wonderful news, so at least we have learnt something today. Praise too to Bath BMD answering so promptly on a late Saturday afternoon. Thought you would like to know the answer. Thank you all once again for your help it is much appreciated since I live abroad and can not visit any record offices. Regards, Elizabeth