Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

XLS e-mail attachment help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 22 Jan 2005 12:59

I have received an e-mail with an attachment but I am unable to open it ,I have moved it to my documents but I have tried every way to open it. I trust the person who sent it and have replied to them but had no reply back. Margaret

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 22 Jan 2005 13:01

You need to have installed a spreadsheet program called Excel in order to open that type of file. I believe that some other spreadsheet programs will also open XLS files. If you don't have a spreadsheet program, ask the sender to resend the doc in CSV or TXT format (which are plain text and can be opened in Word or Notepad).

Margaret

Margaret Report 22 Jan 2005 13:07

Thank you Richard. I have word and notepad and i am sure i can get TXT format. Thanks again Margaret

Dwaffy

Dwaffy Report 22 Jan 2005 13:07

Or you could download Excell viewer free from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&DisplayLang=en dave