Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Right or Wrong Marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kerry

Kerry Report 21 Jan 2005 18:22

Hello, I`ve been looking for the woman who William Joseph Hayes born 1943 married between 1964-1973 and got help from someone who said they found a marriage in Kensington in 1972 between a william joseph hayes and someone with the surname stubbing!! How do i find out if this is the right william hayes? and how would i go about getting the marriage cert if it is him! Kerry

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 21 Jan 2005 18:31

You need to buy credits for 1837online to look up the GRO reference (or post a request for an FRC look-up to get the reference). London Register Offices tend not to issue certs for genealogy so you will have to contact the GRO by following the links from 1837online. The charge for the certificate with the reference is £7 if you order online, £8.50 by post. As to whether it is the right certificate, this depends on how much you know about William. His age will be on the marriage cert, and so will his father's name (usually!). Witnesses may be his siblings, if you're lucky. If you know of any of his children, you could order on of their birth certs and this will show the mother's name and maiden name.

Smiley

Smiley Report 21 Jan 2005 18:39

I assume you have the ref if someone has already found this for you. For a start, you can cross reference that look up with Stubbings and find out her christian name/s if you like, also you can request a checking reference when you order from the GRO, that means you only want the cert if Williams father is *** whatever, hopefully you know this! Then if the name doesn't match they will only charge you £3, instead of the usual £7 Sam

Pauline

Pauline Report 21 Jan 2005 19:32

What if these people are still living. Its only recent as in family history terms. I was married in 1963 and wouldn't like to think just anyone could get hold of a copy of my marriage certificate.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 21 Jan 2005 20:16

Hi Pauline, I'm afraid to say anyone is entitlesd to buy a copy of your marrriage certificate. Gwynne