Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Digging up St Pancras Cemetery!! ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 21 Jan 2005 15:20

Hi, Anyone oyt there live near St Pancras Cemetery, which I beleive is in Finchley, London? Whilst looking for some information how to find records for this on the internet, I came accross an article dated 2002 saying that 4000 graves would be moved for the new channel tunnel rail link from St Pancras station. I now live in Devon, but have lots of rellis burried in this cemetery, and it's a place on my list of visits for my retirement, I do hope they will still be there!!!! Anyone know if this has happened yet? and also any ideas on where I go to get cemetery records for St. Pancras? Thanks, Jackie

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2005 16:25

Jacqueline I've been unable to find info about any proposed digging up of the St Pancras & Islington cemetery. On the official Ldn Borough of Camden website it does say that they are running out of new graves so may be burying people in existing land which grave-owners may have assumed would not be used. nell

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 21 Jan 2005 16:33

We buried my Mums ashes there last year in my Nan and Great Grandparents grave....yes it's still there. My Aunt visits regularly and they have said nothing to her about it being moved in the future. (she holds the deeds to the plot) Sheila

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 22 Jan 2005 11:53

Thanks Helen & Shelia for your reassurances that all my family haven't been dug up! I nearly freaked when I saw that report about the Channel tunnel rail link. Really must search out the burial records for them all, the ones I know are there are one set of grandparents (have deeds to grave), 2 sets of G.grandparents, and there will be aunts, uncles, cousins, as all of my mums family come from the area. Most of them would be in the RC part of the cemetery, don't think many would have headstones. Thanks again for your replies. Jackie

Animal Lover

Animal Lover Report 4 Apr 2005 20:35

I too can confirm it's still there - well, it was when I visited my grandparents grave on mothers day! I haven't heard anything about it being dug up, if I hear anything I'll let you know. Jan