Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stuck and now so very frustrated!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hollie

Hollie Report 21 Jan 2005 12:18

Bonjour all I've been able to trace my father's side of the family to the 1800s but now I'm stuck. I can't seem to find a marriage certificate, etc for David Stewart and Agnes Stewart (Thomeson/Thomson). They had a son James Stewart who got married in 1858 to Margaret Ferguson in the parish of Kincardine, Perth, Scotland. Can someone please suggest what I should do now. Cheers! Hollie

Seasons

Seasons Report 21 Jan 2005 12:35

Have you tried Scotsorigins(.)com the Mormon IGI site which you can search by county and place and of course Scotlandspeople. Besides that I don't know unless they made a will and scotlandsdocumentsonline perhaps

Val

Val Report 21 Jan 2005 13:31

I will look later if you want as Scottish site down again

Hollie

Hollie Report 21 Jan 2005 13:33

Thanks guys. I've been checking out scotlandspeople, Scotsorigins, etc but nothing that connects them. If you could help out that would be absolutely sensational. Cheers!

Val

Val Report 21 Jan 2005 13:43

no problem

Val

Val Report 21 Jan 2005 14:06

right I have had a look found James stewart marriage hard to read just wondering the name agnes second name is not very clear so I think that is the problem so I don't know what second name is for david stewarts marriage

Val

Val Report 21 Jan 2005 14:19

Checked marriages with names of son's birth does not match up are you sure it was Agnes

Hollie

Hollie Report 21 Jan 2005 15:24

Yes we are sure it is Agnes. A lady here very kindly looked the certificate up when she was in Scotland and said her name was Agnes Thomeson. What name have you found? Hx

Val

Val Report 21 Jan 2005 16:06

I will try that name now I didn't find it with an e in it but I will check again when I can get back on as it is down again

Val

Val Report 21 Jan 2005 16:50

I have looked on the Scottish site and there is no Agnes Thomson either spelling marriage to David Stewart or had a baby though I have there son's Marriage Certificate if you want it

Hollie

Hollie Report 21 Jan 2005 16:55

That would be sensational if you could send it to me. Cheers!

Val

Val Report 21 Jan 2005 18:00

If you send email address to me I will send it to you

Ellen

Ellen Report 21 Jan 2005 18:29

Hi Hollie Doesn't help with finding the marraige cert for David, but have you already got details of James & Margaret's daughter, Margaret, b. 11.02.1862 @ Kincardine by Doune, Perth. Regards Ellen.

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 22 Jan 2005 10:54

Hollie - are you sure they married in Scotland? do any census records give birth as anywhere else? Also if they were considered 'non-conformist' at the time of their marriage it won't be on the Scottish Records online site, they do have non-conformist records there but you need to visit to see them.

Hollie

Hollie Report 24 Jan 2005 17:24

Hi Ellen - unfortunately I don't have any information about their daughter Margaret. If you have any additional information that would be great. Hi Karen - I'm not sure if they were married in Scotland. The trail seems to run cold with them. Will have to see what other means I can come up with in regards to seeing if they were married there or not. Cheers guys.

KarenInScotland

KarenInScotland Report 25 Jan 2005 16:20

Hollie - I was asking whether they were married in Scotland as I had a similar situation myself. I managed to successfully trace back one line quickly only to come up against a census that had birth place as 'england' - not very helpful except to say it was not Scotland! I eventually found the family in England but have never found one marriage or birth of two of the children that I later found marriage and death records for. It seems that as they came to Scotland from England and were not Church of Scotland religion they must have been 'non-conformists' however the children married in CoS and all subsequent events are on Scottish website. I'd try to work your way back through the census and see if they have moved. - Karen