Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Records - how can I veryify them?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 21 Jan 2005 11:24

Wonder if anyone can advise - someone kindly typed up and emailed me some details of parish entries, birth and marriage details etc around the time my GGGrandfather was born (c1828) - but am not sure how to verify which one's, if any, were actually part of my family? Any suggestions gratefully received!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Jan 2005 11:36

I would start with finding children born with the same parents, checking occupation and addresses where you can. You can verify these by looking in later census, although you won't get a true picture of relationships until 1851 probably. Check burial records to see if any of the above children died. You sometimes see,eg. John son of John (Surname) buried, which helps identify them. Some of these children may have married in the parish and after 1837,their entry will show their father's name so this can be another piece of evidence. It can be a case of going back and forth in time to find the right back up information that you need.

Linda

Linda Report 21 Jan 2005 11:41

Cheers! I have found my GGGrandfather on 1871 Census (approximately 42 years old), he had moved from Leeds to London but no sign of his father anywhere. Have checked the IGI to find other children born to the same parents around that time but there are loads in the same parish and am not sure how to verify those either! Am a bit thick at this am afraid Thanks!