Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baize weavers in Braintree Essex??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 20 Jan 2005 20:09

One of my husband's ancestors was a Baize Weaver from Braintree Essex. Does anyone know whether they'd be listed in a trade directory? All help appreciated. Thanks, Louise

Heather

Heather Report 20 Jan 2005 20:56

I rememeber my nan having a baize tablecloth. It was sort of velvety but lined if you know what I mean, a bit like very fine corded jeans material now. Try google search for them in Essex. Unless your ancestors was the owner of the business they wont be in any directories Im afraid.

Geoff

Geoff Report 20 Jan 2005 21:00

Unless the ancestor owned the factory he wouldn't be in a trade directory I would think. And if he was a weaver, I doubt he'd own the factory. Baize is the stuff they use to cover billiard tables. Baize weaving seems to have been an Essex industry, probably introduced by immigrants from Belgium.

Wendy

Wendy Report 21 Jan 2005 00:33

What do you want to know about them?

Louise

Louise Report 24 Jan 2005 18:35

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. I've been trying to help further my husband's tree because he is stuck with the baize weaver born in Braintree Essex. My husband's 2x and 3x great grandfathers were both silversmiths called Charles Boyton. The 4x great grandfather was George Boyton, the baize weaver supposedly born in Braintree Essex towards the end of the 18th century. I've read that Baize weaving became industrialised and moved north and that silk weaving became more popular. I presume that baize weavers would have worked from home but I'm no expert on the subject! I wanted to find out more about the Essex weavers and where they were likely to be ( maybe they only worked in one particular area of Essex). I'm completely in the dark so all hints or help appreciated. Thanks, Louise Udall-Waring