Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice needed with an IT problem please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pauline

Pauline Report 20 Jan 2005 19:00

Can anyone out there help me with IT advice. With the January Family History Monthly magazine, came a demo disc with various genealogy information and a trial version of Family Tree Legends software. As I am looking to buy a software programme I thought I’d give it a go. Because I have just bough a new computer I thought I’d better scan the disc for viruses as suggested before installing it. My McAfee virus scan came up with a detected Trojan. I didn’t go any further and e-mailed the address given on the disc. But no one replied. The following month there was another disc, with other software, but my virus scan detected the same Trojan. Can this be right or is my McAfee being over sensitive to some necessary file. It says Trojan Name Univ.script/99a, the disc is write protected so can not isolate it. Has anyone else had a similar problem? or has anyone an explanation. I couldn’t find the Trojan name listed on the virus list, but then I am no computer expert. Thanks Pauline

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 20 Jan 2005 20:11

The best place for things like this is to Google it. I had a look and there is some stuff about Mcafee falsely identifying this. You could scan the CD with an online scanner http://www.pandasoftware(.)com/activescan/ This is very good and can scan your cds or whole computer If you get a clean scan then it would be a good bet that it's a false find by Mcaffee. Have you contacted the magazine? Bob

Pauline

Pauline Report 20 Jan 2005 20:24

Thank you Robert for that information. I will try and give the online scanning a go. I didn't know you could go that. No, I didn't e-mail the magazine directly, but I did send a message to the one given on the disc if you encountered problems. Pauline