Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Job titles

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trudy

Trudy Report 20 Jan 2005 13:55

Sorry, being a bit dense here. I have my great grandfather shown as a 'wood burner' on my grandfathers birth certificate - apart from the obvious, anybody know what occupation this may have been linked to?, or why he might have been burning wood? thanks Trudy

Trudy

Trudy Report 20 Jan 2005 14:15

Hi Peter, Whitechapel in London.

Heather

Heather Report 20 Jan 2005 14:17

Its defitely burner not bundler or something like that? I have seen quite a few people with jobs of chopping and bundling firewood.

Trudy

Trudy Report 20 Jan 2005 14:20

Hi Heather, no it definitely says 'wood burner'!!

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 20 Jan 2005 14:31

I doubt he would have been involved in making charcoal in Whitechapel but it is possible. There where lots of Iron foundries in the area (I've got loads of rellies working in them)and I guess they would need charcoal as it burns at a higher temperature than normal wood.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Jan 2005 15:07

Are you sure it doesn't say wood turner. Have you got him in one of the census returns to check his occupation on that. If you give his name and area where he lived maybe we could check for you. Kath, x

Heather

Heather Report 20 Jan 2005 15:13

Yes thats sounds good!