Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for marriages in County Durham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rubydooby

Rubydooby Report 20 Jan 2005 12:23

I've just started out at this so please forgive me if this is old news ...! Co Durham has an online facility for searching for marriages registered in that county. You can order the certificates online too once you've found the right people and it's useful for searching if you know one of the partner's names and have a rough idea of the year of their marriage in Durham. It's helpful as it allows you to find the maiden names of women so you can then trace their family's history. It has all marriages in Co Durham from 1837 - 2003. To access it go to www(.)durham(.)gov(.)uk ( remove the brackets when typing in the address!) and choose 'online services' from near the bottom of the list on the left-hand side and then 'registrars 'certificates' certificates from the bottom of the next screen. At the moment they only have a very few of births and deaths online. To see what records they have go the above site and choose the 'community, people and living' option on the left hand side and then the 'indexing project' option. I'm putting this in the 'looking for' and 'records office' sections too as I'm new and don't know which is most appropriate.

Helen

Helen Report 20 Jan 2005 20:07

I join with you in recommending the Durham CC site - and they're so quick. I've ordered several certificates from them and they always deal with requests immediately. Quicker than any of the other local offices which in their turn are quicker than GRO (especially at the moment!).